Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT/giFT conflict: your opinion wanted!

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT/giFT conflict: your opinion wanted!
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:45:49 +0200

> I am really not OK with this. We have a large number of papers published
> using the name GIFT, and considerable awareness in the CBIR Community.

Yes, I think this is a very strong point.

> Also, if I have read the earlier mails correctly, giFT post-dates GIFT.

I think this is the Mozilla/Firebird problem once over again. People whom I
tell I am maintainer of the GIFT tell me that they are not happy with some
weakness of giFT.

So the current state of affairs would be rather to put good and clear "don't
confuse" links on our pages. The name clash would then be sorted out if giFT
actually become GNU internet File Transfer...

More opinions? Steph? Henning? Others?

Cheers and thanks for your useful objection.