Re: [help-GIFT] problem starting gift

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] problem starting gift
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:37:50 +1100

Nikhil Vasudev Shirahatti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Nikhil. I am a student in University of Arizona. I intend to use GIFT
> for a project in one of my courses.
>
> I complied the lastest version of gift and installed it. I have added a
> image collection now located in ~/gift-indexing-data/1000/*.jpg .
>
> When i run ./gift 12789 from the ~/gift/bin/ directory. This is the
> message i get.
>
> Random number generator has been seeded with 14328
> gift: CAlgorithmCollection: The following is the config file
> located at "/home/nvs/gift-config.mrml" as read by this program:
> <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>

[snip]

> Opening port 12789
> TCP socket successfully initialized:7
> TCP socket successfully initialized:8
> Waiting for connection...
>
> and it waits for ever. What connection is it waiting for? Do i need to
> start up a client?

Yes. It (the server) is waiting for a connection from a client. A simple way
to test it is to point another client at it. Just specify the IP of your
machine and the port number you are using to
http://viper.unige.ch/demo/php/demo.php or
http://viper.csse.monash.edu.au/~davids/cgi-bin/PerlMRMLClient/PerlMRMLClient.pl

Cheers,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Postgraduate Research Coordinator (Caulfield),
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia