Re: [help-GIFT] MRML stuff

From: pruet
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] MRML stuff
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:24:47 +0700

Hi There,

I'm in Thailand now, already complete my master degree (thanks for David). I'll
continue working on
region query stuff as promised, anyway, the I18N issue interests me as well,
because I'm not English
native speaking.

Quoting Wolfgang M�ller <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
> First of all, thanks for the great work. I like the background :-)

I think so.

<-- cut -->

> Yes, and I will post some within the next month. Which format would you like?
>
> I think it would be good to propose us some XML DTD for our extensions. Then
>
> you can add these extensions by simple inclusion.
>
> > I suppose we can also have an extension-HOWTO...
> Yes, and what you are doing is a good start for that.

An outline or mini-howto will be great, both in MRML side, and how to add new
handling code for the
extension in GIFT too.

> >   -contact page so that it is not only my address :-; I geenrally do not
> > like setting others aemail addresses on pages without their permission.
> > If you feel you should be listed, please tell me.
>
> BTW: I think you have to subscribe to help-gift using the following page:
> I don't know if ...request works.
>
> (snip)
>
> >  # The above items have led me to the following proposal/questions?
> > ADMIN:
> >    -Should we have a MRML-specific mailing list. The fact of many
> > mailing lists may dilute the dialog. On the other hand, MRML should not
> > be tightly linked with GIFT (confusing for people) and stand by itself
> >    -Should we have an MRML sourceforge/savannah space (with mailing
> > list, solving the above issue) to gather software or is the resource
> > page with a list of links sufficient?
>
> Difficult question. What do the other ones think?

I quite agree with him. GIFT is a test-bed for MRML, hence, MRML should have
its own space, or
even community.

> > MRML spec:
> >    - My intention in the next future is to mak e a list of proposal for
> > the MRML spec.
> >    - i18n: the W3C has defined some styleguide (xml:lang...) why not
> > following it?
>
> I think what I was proposing is more easily usable for clients that do not
> know the xml:lang tag. More importantly, the last proposal does always send
>
> only a single-language version, however this single-language version is the
>
> language the user requested. The user will be able to request a sequence of
>
> preferred languages, which does not seem possible according to that:
> http://www.opentag.com/xmli18nfaq.htm#lang_xmllang
> as this is focused on the text transferred, and not on negociation. Please
> point me to a more appropriate page, if you know one. However, I agree that
>
> it is surely a good idea to post an xml:lang tag which tells the user which
>
> language we are using.

I didn't look at xml:lang yet, but the recent proposal by Wolfgang is looked
very good for me.

> >    - should we create a schema (XSD) for MRML, thus documenting it more
> > precisely...
> >    - MRML version 2.0: it is cited in the site. What is meant is to
> > gather a set of proposal to better further MRML so that people can start
> > doing collaborative thinking (standard procedure in collaborative
> > efforts)...
> >    - some inconsistencies in MRML have been reported on the mailing list
> > (eg type attribute). I will take the messages and make some
> > corrections...
>
> I guess all this depends quite a lot on what our user base wants (speak up,
>
> folks!). In some ways we surely can argue that free libraries for use with
> XML have become more widely used, so that we can start using more complex XML
>
> features. In particular, there is a great XSL-T processor by the GNOMEs which
>
> might make it simple to translate more sophisticated versions of MRML into
> more simple ones and vice versa. This might make large direction changes much
>
> more simple.

I think about MRML<->SOAP translation for sometime. It should not be hard
because both of them
are based on MRML. If we can make MRML<->SOAP gateway or proxy, it will be very
easy for
developers to develop front-ends using Java or .NET .

> > Note:  I do not intend to restrain the site for my own self. The way it
> > works is that each HTML page is associated with an XML page (same name).
> > I maintain the pages in CVS. If you wish to make an update, download the
> > XML file, modify it and send it to me, I'll commit the modifs. You'll
> > understand that I cannot open the modif procedure more...
>
> How do we get access to the XML? It might be good to open read-only access to
>
> CVS. Like that we can provide you up-to-date patches using cvs diff.
>
> Cheers,
> Wolfgang

Cheers,
pruet