Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:43:12 +0200

Hi,

(Snip). Happy writeup...

> > is replaced by gettext("this is a string"). What gettext() does is look
> > up what is the current language, and look up the translation. If there is
> > no translation of the string, the original string is taken.
>
> I'm not sure about this issue. I've read from somewhere that if you
> wanna use GNU in your project name, or want to be a part of "official"
> GNU project. So, you need to use gettext() for the i18n, as same as you
> have to use autoconf,automake,etc. But I'm not completely sure, so you
> should check with GNU/FSF guys.

Oh, I guess I don't have to check that. However gettext is not made for
servers serving several people at the same time with another language for
each person. Each change of db within gettext would mean that we slurp in the
whole gift i18n db for just one request (let's say in Spanish), and the next
request is coming from a guy who chose German as preferred language, so we
would have to kick out the Spanish db and get the German one. This is simply
to inefficient.

> > What I suggest would generating from GNU gettext translation a file
> > gift-i18n.xml that contains all translations the server is supposed to
> > offer. These translations we read on startup.
>
> Look good for me, at least, we use gettext() :P

Yeah, this is sort of waiting for gettext to do what we would really need.

> This look reasonable, except that you have to do this before hand. I
> mean, you have to generate everything before starting the GIFT server.
> Hence, you cannot do any operations on the fly, such as, add new
> collection (if it possible in the future). Anyway, your suggestion
> should work well with recent GIFT system.

Yes, well seen. I guess one would have to take that into account when the
add... tags come.