Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:42:10 +0200

Thanks, David,

> <i18-collection-names
>     en="sauerkraut eating contest"
>     de="Sauerkrauteßwettbewerb"
>     fr="concours des mangeurs de choucroute"
> />

Yes, I guess that's better. However, I re-thought about it. My first
suggestion is a real dirty hack with few benefits and lots of shortcomings.
Yours is already cleaner, but the question remains in what it will be better
than proper preferred language negotiation. What about that one:

When configuring a session, the client sends

<configure-session ...>
<i18-preferred-languages>
<language language-code="de"/><!-- I prefer german over french -->
<language language-code="fr"/>
</configure-session>
and the server does the real internationalization in a proper way. If the
preferred languages are unknown, the server takes its preferred language. I
guess everything else becomes really dirty at some point.

I am starting on it now. Comments welcome, scream if you disagree :-)