Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:10:03 +1000

Wolfgang Müller wrote:

> Hi all,
> People are kicking me to integrate internationalization (i18n, 18 letters
> between i and n) support into the GIFT. As the main chunk of to-be-localized
> text comes directly from the config file, I suggest the following for the
> time being:
>
> Each attribute whose value is to be displayed to the user e.g.
> "collection-name" will get some sister attributes with a prefix, that contain
> the suitable i18n information.
>
> E.g. in addition to sending
>
> collection-name="sauerkraut eating contest"
>
> we will send
>
> i18-de-collection-name="Sauerkrauteßwettbewerb"
> i18-fr-collection-name="concours des mangeurs de choucroute"
>
> The client does the filtering.
>
> This will get us into the right direction, at least. The next step is having
> something in the configure-session that tells us what is the preferred
> language and doing the i18n sessionwise on the server side.
>
> What do you guys think?

Sounds fine to me..., except perhaps that it might be easier for parsers if the
language indicator were not embedded in an attribute name. Without looking at
the MRML standard, I would suggest something in the spirit of:

<i18-collection-names
    en="sauerkraut eating contest"
    de="Sauerkrauteßwettbewerb"
    fr="concours des mangeurs de choucroute"
/>

Just a thought....

Cheers,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Postgraduate Research Coordinator (Caulfield),
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia