Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Clarification on inverted file

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Clarification on inverted file
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:10:58 +1000

Wolfgang Mueller wrote:

> MARS is strongly inspired by text retrieval,
> but modifies the retrieval scheme, basing the weighting not on the document
> frequency but on the standard deviation of the term frequency.

I haven't got the article in front of me, but if I recall correctly they didn't
use standard deviations of term frequencies, but rather std. devs. of
continous-valued features. This would mean that features that took on a wide
range of values in the query would get a low weight.

This is clearly related to the term frequency idea, since if the features were
quantized a la Viper, then features with low std. dev. would tend to get high
term frequencies for the quantiles around the mean.

Cheers,

David

--  Dr. David McG. Squire, Postgraduate Research Coordinator (Caulfield)
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~davids/   http://viper.unige.ch/
Do/Don't want HTML mail? Let me know.