Re: [help-GIFT] Adding text features to Viper/GIFT

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Adding text features to Viper/GIFT
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:51:17 +1000

Wolfgang Müller wrote:

[snip]

> For the time being, I guess the best you can do is:
>
> 1) slurp in a file containing a list of all your images. Maybe get inspired
> by url2fts.xml
> 2) make your feature extractor parse gift-config.mrml
> 3) add references to the files you generated into gift-config.mrml.
>
> Like this, it should be possible for people to add a text index in the same
> easy fashion as they can add a "normal" gift index.

All this is *way* more complicated than what I have time for now. I am planning
to create auxilliary tff (text feature file) files for each text file given as
input (either on the command line or from a file). These will contain (TermID,
term frequency) pairs, which will be read by a modified version of
extract_features after extracting the image features (the convention being that
we have ImageName.jpg (or gif or whatever) accompanied by ImageName.txt,
leading to ImageName.tff. The result will be fts files which the inverted file
generator should be able to slurp in unmodified - we will just now have another
feature group. Conseqently the text and image index should look just like a
"normal" gift index.

I realise that this is extremely quick and dirty, but I have a student waiting
on it who has a tight deadline for the submission if her minor thesis.
Hopefully I will be able to integrate this into the full framework later.

Cheers,

David

PS. Is it possible to make messages distributed by help-gift have their
Reply-To address set automatically to address@hidden

--
Dr. David McG. Squire
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia