Re: [help-GIFT] viper/gift log files

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] viper/gift log files
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:59:51 +0100 (CET)

>> blink of an eye, so there would have to be another query which is sent
>> exactly in this moment. Since gift is multithreaded as of 0.1.5pre,
>> this *could* happen, but is very improbable.

DMS> And thus, I think, that it is worth ensuring that it can't happen.

It is. The stuff above is just to say that I evaluate the probability
that any exsisting log suffers from this problem as *very* small.

DMS> Putting this stuff in the log file is fine, but I can't see why you
wouldn't
DMS> send it. One of the nice things about the MRML logs (as opposed to my
earlier
DMS> ad hoc ones) is that they are a true record of what actually passed between
DMS> client and server. I would not like to see that principle
DMS> changed.

I see this point. Let's say: we can send it, but we do not expect
other people to send it in cases where it's redundant?

What I see as important is to keep the load low for people developing
an MRML server.

DMS> Question: what happens if there are multiple sessions started from the
same IP?
DMS> How is this resolved? What if there are multiple sessions from the same IP
with
DMS> the same user name?

Q1) sockets do that for you. There can be multiple connections over
one socket. We don't care, we read and write from/to different file
descriptors.
Q2) You can have multiple open sessions for one user. Trouble begins
when a person asks twice for the same session to be opened.

Wolfgang Müller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant
Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)