Re: [help-GIFT] problem with the applet

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] problem with the applet
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:28:16 +0100 (CET)

mk> with this code it finaly worked.
mk>  <applet
mk>           code="charmer.client.Charmer.java"
mk>           width=800 height=600
mk>           codebase="http://172.31.7.12/martin/Charmer-0.2b";

Cool!

mk> i can  start the applet now trought my appache.

mk> but i have still some problem with  the database.

Uncool.

mk> they are nearly solved, the applet worked, and i was eable to indexing the
mk> file, but i dont see the files in the applet, i can chose them, an also on
mk> my linux terminal i see the right reaktion. but i cannt see the images  but
mk> all the stuff is in the htdocs folder and with write/read permisson.

You're a tough guy :-)

mk> any sugestions??

Oh, all this is JAVA trying to be secure :-/

Quote from Doc/gift-guide.txt

--

 6.2.2.  JAVA security gets in our way

  JAVA 1.1.x and JAVA 1.2 have different security concepts. While in
  JAVA 1.1.x the appletviewer does not load any remote URLs (at least I
  had once trouble with that), JAVA 1.2's appletviewer is extremely
  restrictive, as restrictive as a browser would be. As a consequence,
  you have to put your images and thumbnails into a web-published area,
  if you want to see anything.

--

Summing it up: you've got an applet coming from server

http://172.31.7.12/

then all your images have to come from this server, too, if you want
to see them in JAVA.

See

6.3.  Digging in the indexing files

for more info on how to solve your problem. If you have trouble
understanding the text, please keep asking questions, and I try to get
this text more user friendly.

Wolfgang M&uuml;ller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant
Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)