Re: Sending mail on windows opens up Outlook

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: Sending mail on windows opens up Outlook
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 19:53:20 -0300

richard.baeck@mailbox.org writes:

> Hello!
>
> I am having the following troubles: when I send a mail in gnus via
> message-send-and-exit Outlook opens up with the subject and TO
> pre-filled from my message in gnus and the body in the clipboard.
>
> As I specifically want to use gnus and not Outlook this really annoys
> me.
>
> I am using Emacs on Windows with Spacemacs preconfigured. The
> configuration for gnus does not state anything related to Outlook - I
> have checked it.
>
> I am using the following configuration to send my mail:
>     (setq message-sendmail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
>     (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "main"))
>     (setq sendmail-program "C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/msmtp.exe")
>
> On a Linux box I am using the exact same setup without any issues at
> all. ... but of course I do not have Outlook there either.
>
> Does anyone of you have any idea on what could cause such behavior?

I don't have any idea.  FWIW, though, let me share my own SMTP setup.  I
use a gmail account for sending e-mail out of Gnus.  To make it happen,
I set:

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

Then in my ~/.authinfo, I have a line that reads:

machine smtp.gmail.com login my-account@gmail.com 587 password mumble

Glancing a bit into the procedure smtpmail-send-it, I see it eventually
handles control to procedure smtpmail-via-smtp, which opens a network
connection (via make-network-process, which seems defined in C source
code) to the SMTP server and delivers the message.  So this procedure
should dispense with your msmtp.exe.

My version:
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN