[h-e-w] Emacs cursor turns into a vertical line

From: John J . Xenakis
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs cursor turns into a vertical line
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 15:09:09 -0400

Hi Eli,

About two weeks ago, I installed the latest Windows 10 update.  Since
then, my Emacs cursor is no longer a rectangle.  It's a vertical line
one pixel wide, and it's almost impossible to see.  Sometimes even the
vertical line disappears.

I've looked at various Windows 10 settings, with no luck.  I've looked
at various Emacs settings, with no luck.  I made sure that
"cursor-type" is "box", not "bar".  I tried setting it to "bar" with a
big width.  I tried turning off blinking.  All to no avail.

Also, since I wasn't sure what the syntax is for setting cursor-type,
I tried all sorts of syntax formats, to be sure of getting the right
one.  This is a sample:

(setq cursor-type t)
(setq cursor-type box)
(setq cursor-type "box")
(setq cursor-type 'box)
(setq cursor-type '(bar . 10))

None of these made any difference.

I did nothing that I know of to cause this problem.  It's apparently
caused by a change in the Windows 10 UI in the last update.

Do you have any idea what's going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

John