Re: Is there a way to create a stripped-down version of Windows GNU Emac

From: John J . Xenakis
Subject: Re: Is there a way to create a stripped-down version of Windows GNU Emacs?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:55:36 -0400

Hi David,

>   Is there any way to obtain or create a stripped-down version of
>   Windows GNU Emacs?

>   What I'm looking for:

>   * Full support for basic EmacsLisp programming
>   * All the basic editor commands and defuns (moving, selecting, etc.)
>   * Support for windows, buffers, and files
>   * A minimal keyboard map
>   * No or few extension packages
>   * No or few buffer modes or submodes
>   * No syntax coloring or features like "goto a function definition"
>   * Optional: no requirement to build Emacs on my own computer in whatever
>     compiled language its kernel is written in.

>   Why am I looking for this? Because I want certain features that no
>   editors have, such as saved text files containing groups of
>   buffers associated with tasks which are in turn associated with
>   projects, the ability to work with indexed outline files (like
>   NoteTab has), and lots more.

Two brief responses:

1. I typically have 5-10 Emacs processes running, with perhaps 25-30
frames and hundreds of active buffers total, and even so, Emacs takes
up almost no system resources compared to a browser, IDE, office
software, etc.  My point is that the existing Emacs program is already
sufficiently "stripped down," and so you don't need a more stripped
down version.

2. I've been using Emacs for almost 15 years, and I have well over a
thousand macros, and as far as I can tell, all the things and features
that you need and want can easily be done with the existing Emacs.  I
would be very surprised if anything you want to do is more complex and
sophisticated than some of the things I've done, so you should not
have a problem.

So my suggestion is: Use the existing GNU Emacs.

Sincerely,

John

John J. Xenakis
100 Memorial Drive Apt 8-13A