Re: [h-e-w] Font Rendering Issues

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Font Rendering Issues
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 17:40:33 +0200

> Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 15:40:03 +0100
> From: Tim Schumacher <address@hidden>
>
> I have problem with some characters. One Example is for Example 0x27FC. I have
> installed a font from
> https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/27fc/fontsupport.htm that should
> render the font. But I still get the box with the number.

Install the latest version of the Symbola font, and the problem will
go away.

> To reproduce this issues:
>
> C-x 8 d RET 27FC RET
>
> Which produces this: ⟼
>
> I normaly use doom-emacs¹ where this happens, but also when I start emacs with
> -Q the character won't render.
>
> I'm using the Emails 26.1 build from:
>
>  https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-26/
>
> Any ideas what might be causing this?

Most likely, you have some other font on your system which claims
support for the corresponding block of Unicode codepoints, but in
reality doesn't have a glyph for that character.  If that font is
examined by Emacs before the one you installed, you will see the box
with a hex code.

The advantage of installing Symbola is twofold: (1) Emacs knows about
Symbola and will automatically use it if available; (2) it is a free
font, unlike some of those mentioned by that URL.  (And Symbola
supports a lot of other characters, so installing it is a net win.)