Re: [h-e-w] 23.1.50; Dead keys

From: Angelo Borsotti
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] 23.1.50; Dead keys
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 18:41:09 +0200

Hi Eli,

I might be a bit out of exercize with lisp, but have added these to my .emacs:

(setq select-active-regions nil)
(setq mouse-drag-copy-region t)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard nil)
(add-hook 'term-setup-hook '(lambda ()
  (global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-at-click)))

to get back the old behavior (according to the changes you sent me, hopefully), but they do not
produce the old behavior.

-Angelo

On 4 June 2018 at 17:45, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Angelo Borsotti <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 09:16:07 +0200
>
>  Why private email?
>
> It is the only one I have.

Your original mail was sent to address@hidden, which is an
Emacs-related mailing list.  Unless you have your reasons, please CC
the list on your replies.

>   1. left mouse button select a piece of text and then click again: nothing is saved in the system clipboard,
>       but it can be pasted with mouse-wheel
>   2. right mouse button: it selects from the cursor to the pointer, but it does not save in the system clipboard.
>       It can be pasted with mouse-wheel
>   3. copy icon in the toolbar: it saves in the system clipboard. The text can be pasted with mouse-wheel or
>       with the paste icon
>   4. the paste icon pastes the text contained in the system clipboard

Ah, in that case it's a deliberate change in behavior: marking text by
mouse no longer puts text into the clipboard, by default.  See the
following fragment from NEWS for Emacs 24:

  ** Selection changes.

  The default handling of clipboard and primary selections has been
  changed to conform with modern X applications.  In short, most
  commands for killing and yanking text now use the clipboard, while
  mouse commands use the primary selection.

  In the following, we provide a list of these changes, followed by a
  list of steps to get the old behavior back if you prefer that.

  *** `select-active-regions' now defaults to t.
  Merely selecting text (e.g. with drag-mouse-1) no longer puts it in
  the kill ring.  The selected text is put in the primary selection, if
  the system possesses a separate primary selection facility (e.g. X).

  **** `select-active-regions' also accepts a new value, `only'.
  This means to only set the primary selection for temporarily active
  regions (usually made by mouse-dragging or shift-selection);
  "ordinary" active regions, such as those made with C-SPC followed by
  point motion, do not alter the primary selection.

  **** `mouse-drag-copy-region' now defaults to nil.

  *** mouse-2 is now bound to `mouse-yank-primary'.
  This pastes from the primary selection, ignoring the kill-ring.
  Previously, mouse-2 was bound to `mouse-yank-at-click'.

  *** `x-select-enable-clipboard' now defaults to t on all platforms.

  *** `x-select-enable-primary' now defaults to nil.
  Thus, commands that kill text or copy it to the kill-ring (such as
  M-w, C-w, and C-k) also use the clipboard---not the primary selection.

  **** The "Copy", "Cut", and "Paste" items in the "Edit" menu are now
  exactly equivalent to M-w, C-w, and C-y respectively.

  **** Note that on MS-Windows, `x-select-enable-clipboard' was already
  non-nil by default, as Windows does not support the primary selection
  between applications.

  *** To return to the previous behavior, do the following:

  **** Change `select-active-regions' to nil.
  **** Change `mouse-drag-copy-region' to t.
  **** Change `x-select-enable-primary' to t (on X only).
  **** Change `x-select-enable-clipboard' to nil.