Re: [h-e-w] Emacs daemon and emacsclientw configuration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs daemon and emacsclientw configuration
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 13:23:56 +0300

> From: Sivaram Neelakantan <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:09:11 +0530
>
> Sorry for not being clear. I followed the instructions here
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsMsWindowsIntegration#toc6
>
> though I have windows 7 OS.  The daemon part instruction seems fine
> though I did get a symantec virus warning upon start up.  This part

> In your Emacs/bin directory, create a new shortcut file to
> emacsclientw.exe. Open Properties for newly created shortcut and in
> Target type: X:\path\to\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -na
> "X:\path\to\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe" -c -n In Open in field, type
> %Documents% or whatever your choice for default directory is. Close
> the Properties dialog and rename your shortcut to just: emacs Drag
> your newly created shortcut to your startbar, or desktop or wherever
> you wish to have it.
>
> where I replaced the Properties with the line below
> C:\gnu\emacs-25.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe -na
> C:\gnu\emacs-25.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe -c -n
>
> I get a error with 'filename or argument required' message.

What did you do when you get the error message?

Anyway, these instructions seem strange to me: the part after -na
should point to Emacs, not back to emacsclientw.  I guess these
questions should be answered by whoever wrote those instructions,
because I fail to see the logic behind them.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by following these
instructions?  That is, how would you like to invoke Emacs on that
system?  Maybe if you tell that, we can give you alternative
instructions that will work.