Re: [h-e-w] Aspell issue with latex files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Aspell issue with latex files
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 20:45:54 +0300

> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:24:02 +0200
>
> The following occurs on Windows 10 (CU) and MSYS2/MinGW64.
>
> Try to flyspell a LaTeX file, I discovered that Aspell crashes and Emacs
> (master, April 26, 7a4851e11b) becomes unresponsive (I have to use "task
> manager", in the old terminology, to kill it).

It would be good to know where Emacs hangs.  If you attach a debugger
to it and show a backtrace, it could help fix this issue (with Emacs
becoming not responsive; the problem with aspell is not something we
could solve).  If you can collect this info, please file a bug report
with the data you collected.

> Any idea about how to get hunspell working (at least with english)?

Try using Hunspell from here:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/?source=navbar

It comes with US English and UK English dictionaries.  You should be
able to say

  M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET en_US RET

and get spelling with English.

If you have Italian dictionaries, copy the it_IT.* dictionary files to
the corresponding ITA.* files.  The files should go to the
share/hunspell subdirectory under the directory you installed
Hunspell, the same place where you get en_US dictionaries after
unzipping the Hunspell archive downloaded from the ezwinports site.

Googling for "hunspell italian dictionaries" finds these URLs:

  https://github.com/titoBouzout/Dictionaries
  https://github.com/wooorm/dictionaries/tree/master/dictionaries
  http://www.softmaker.com/en/download/dictionaries

If none of them seems to work for you, please tell which ones you
tried, and I will try that on my machine, where Hunspell is working
very well for me in Emacs with several different languages.

Good luck!

P.S.  Hunspell has several bugs that its developers take years to fix,
and some of them are still not fixed.  They are all fixed in the above
ezwinports port, but some other ports out there didn't fix them.  This
could be one reason why the MSYS2 port doesn't work for you.  Or maybe
you have some ispell.el customizations that get in the way.  I suggest
trying in "emacs -Q" first, with the only customization being the
value of ispell-program-name.