Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:07:15 +0200

> From: Rob Davenport <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, "address@hidden"
>       <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:46:06 +0000
> I was surprised as well.  Launched Emacs via command-line runemacs, then
> pinned, and saw Explorer.exe process open and read the GNU Emacs.lnk in the
> Start Menu before creating the Emacs.lnk in the taskbar user-pinned
> directory.   Changing the AppID in the Start Menu shortcut changed the value
> in the pinned shortcut.  When it was "GNU.Emacs" in the Start Menu, it
> created lnk with "GNU.Emacs" in pinned directory.   When I changed the Start
> Menu app id to something else, it did *not* put the app id in the pinned
> shortcut (it was then blank).

One more reason to not use addpm, if you ask me.

And thanks for the information about this misfeature of Windows 10.

> > No, it doesn't add environment variables.  It adds Registry keys that serve
> > the same duty.
>
> No, environment variables *are* registry entries.  And it does add
> environment variables - cf. the env_vars array in addpm.c.

These variables are added to the Registry as entries for Emacs to
read.  They are not added to the Registry in a way that would push
them into the environment of the Emacs process; Emacs does that itself
in its application code during startup.

> I'm still working on getting a MinGW environment set up (any
> pointers to good setup instructions?).

See nt/INSTALL in the Emacs source tree.

> > I want addpm gone, so I'd rather not advertise it too much.
>
> So you feel *all* integration with Windows (shortcuts, env vars, registry
> settings (beyond env.vars - like context menu integration), taskbar
> integration, etc.) should not be anywhere in Emacs itself, but solely
> documented for users to locate and apply by hand?   I can understand the
> separation, but I do like a standard way to do said integration (with support
> for removing it).

In my experience, these features are very rarely used and almost
completely unknown to users.  Keeping them is a maintenance burden
that is hardly justified by its use.