Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 17:54:37 +0200

> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 00:02:34 -0400
> From: Rob Davenport <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>,
>       David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
>
> OK. I figured my mystery out. I ran the process monitor when pinning and saw
> Windows looking through the Start Menu for GNU Emacs.lnk.

Does Windows look at that shortcut only if you invoke Emacs from the
Start menu, or does it do that for all the other ways of invoking
Emacs, like the cmd prompt, a desktop shortcut, the Run dialog, etc.?

> So if we fix AddPM to put the app id into the shortcut it creates in the Start
> Menu, Windows 10 should find it and create the correct shortcut when you pin
> Emacs to the taskbar.

If we find a way to do that from a MinGW-compiled C program, we will.

Although I'd recommend that people stop using addpm altogether, and
instead use the standard ways of adding Emacs to the Start menu,
because addpm does more than just add a shortcut there.  Or maybe send
patches for making the other stuff optional, controlled by some
command-line switches.