Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Rob Davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:45:19 +0000

> Did that today with lnk-parser.  I see no problem on Windows 7 systems I
> tried that: as soon as I pin Emacs to taskbar, the App ID is set correctly.
> Are you saying you don't see the App ID on your Windows 7 systems?

I tried it on my Windows 7 machine and it definitely does *not* work for me.
The shortcut gets created when pinning Emacs but *without* an AppID.   Same on
Windows 10.  Truly perplexing.

<time passes...>
I have now tried it on a Windows 8 machine.  I started Emacs via runemacs.exe,
pinned it to the taskbar and the shortcut *does* have the AppID.
I tried running emacs.exe.   Got two windows as expected.   When I tried
pinning the console window emacs.exe, the shortcut did *not* have the AppID.
When I tried pinning the GUI windows of Emacs.exe, the shortcut *did* have the
AppID.

On Windows 7, I used procmon and watched what files and registry entries are
hit when pinning.  Noticed that the Emacs.lnk under the Start Menu\Programs\Gnu
Emacs\ folder was getting queried.  I checked *that* link and sure enough, it
did *not* have any AppID.  Hmm.   I tried giving it a test AppID of "MyAppID" -
then, launched Emacs via that shortcut and pinned it.  I got another taskbar
icon, in addition to the running Emacs, but no AppID.  Then I gave the
StartMenu Emacs.lnk the 'GNU.Emacs' AppID, launched and pinned it.  Now the
taskbar shortcut *has* the GNU.Emacs AppID.     So it can work on Windows 7 for
me.

I typically launch Emacs via a command prompt alias - not the Start Menu.  (How
do you normally start Emacs?  Start Menu shortcut, or some other means?)  I
suspect that might be the difference in our experience in what lnks get the
AppID in various OS's.

The addpm program will create the Start Menu shortcut, but I don't see code in
there that would set the AppID.  Perhaps it should?
Sometimes I run AddPM but most often I don't.  I extract emacs to a directory
and start it from the command line.   (Do you normally run addpm?  Maybe I'm
not correct in my installation/configuration procedure...)

I'll have to test things again on my Windows 10 box later, but I'm suspecting
it's a problem in how I install Emacs (run addpm or not), and launch it (start
menu or command-line).  But I've now gotten pinning to work in Windows 7 and 8.
  And I can get it to work in Windows 10 by adding GNU.Emacs AppID to the
shortcut manually.    If I can get the procedure figured out for all 3, I'll
update the emacswiki page to be more specific, assuming I'm doing something
slightly different that might be worth noting.