Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Rob Davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 01:36:34 -0400

I tried it again tonight on my Windows 10 laptop.  Pinning Emacs created a shortcut to emacs.exe with no applications user model id.  And taskbar icons weren't grouped.  I added the GNU.Emacs id to the shortcut using the registry technique mentioned before.  Then the icons were grouped.   Which is the same behavior I saw on my Windows 7 laptop.  David reported pinning did create a shortcut that worked (grouping icons) so presumably setting the app id.  I suspect *I'm* doing something different than David -- or have a different environment, and if I were running Windows 8.1, it wouldn't work for me either.

And I was thinking when pinning, Windows may look into the target file looking for a property store containing the app id, but emacs.exe doesn't have a property store - it's sets the app id when running - so the shortcut doesn't get the id.  Then again, I only know that shortcut files contain property stores.  And it may be that only shortcuts contain property stores that the shell cares about.  It's not probably much of a problem since most windows programs concerned with the taskbar grouping are installed with installers and they set the app id in the shortcut so the grouping is as expected.