Re: [h-e-w] Emacs gets font wrong at start up

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs gets font wrong at start up
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 07:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

> > > the default for the entire frame, not just for buffer text, is
> > > something that requires a higher-quality font.
> >
> > I didn't know that.
>
> You didn't know what exactly?

That there was a different font-quality requirement for display
in a buffer vs for use as the default font for a frame.

> > Why does a frame need a better (default) font than a buffer?
> > Just what does a frame require in this regard?
>
> The bold variant, for starters, because we show the buffer name in
> bold on the mode line.

Oh, I see what you mean.  Is that the only consideration: the fact
that a variant (bold or whatever) of the frame font is expected to
be able to be used, when you define the default font of a frame?