Re: [h-e-w] Emacs delay on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs delay on windows
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:31:02 +0200

> From: Brian Elmegaard <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:16:42 +0100
>
> I finally found the way to remove a small annoyance in emacs 24. I
> constantly have a few seconds delay when opening files, compiling, and
> other file operations.
>
> It seems that this is caused by some network interaction and it can be
> removed by stopping the Netlogon service. This is explained in detail
> on: http://www.hydrus.org.uk/journal/emacs-netlogon.html
>
> I would like to understand why Emacs has this problem/feature? I don't
> experience it in any other programs.

Emacs logs on to a network drive the first time it is used.  This is
not new in Emacs 24, it was so since 6 years ago.

I don't know why this call was added to Emacs; presumably some
networked drives fail system calls if the user didn't log into them.

Why the Netlogon service makes this so slow, I don't know.