Re: [h-e-w] make-frame function read in .emacs in w32 ver 23.3 butnot 24

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] make-frame function read in .emacs in w32 ver 23.3 butnot 24.2
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:11:18 -0800

> > (make-frame '((name . "courier")
> >            (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 123) (height . 18)
> >            (visibility . icon)))
> > (select-frame-by-name "courier")
> > (set-frame-font "-outline-Courier
> > New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")
>
> In the current development version, the backtrace is more informative:
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Font not available"
>
> So the problem is that newline embedded in the middle of the font
> name.  If I remove the newline, replacing it with a blank, I see no
> backtrace.

FWIW - I was assuming (still am) that the newline you see in the mail was
inserted because of mailer wrapping.  I just replaced it with a space (what
should be there) for testing.

In all Emacs versions I have, including the latest MS Windows development
version I have, there is no error.  But if I remove the last paren of the
`make-frame' sexp (for example), then I get exactly the error the OP reported.
(And not an error about a missing font.)

The question, I think is whether the `make-frame' actually succeeded.  My guess
is no, and my guess is that the sexp was incorrect (e.g. missing a paren).

Up to the OP now to clarify some of this, else we can be supposing all over the
map.