Re: [h-e-w] Emacs Windows .pdb file?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs Windows .pdb file?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:07:18 +0200

> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:30:19 -0500 (EST)
> From: Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden>
>
> I'm running a recent nightly emacs, and it very occasionally locks up
> completely.  I can put it in the debugger (VS 2010) and get a stack trace,
> but without debugging symbols it's not very useful.  I can see the main
> thread is calling NtUserFlashWindowEx and one of the worker threads is in
> read().

There was a bug in the Windows version of Emacs that caused lockups.
It was recently solved, see

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2012-11/msg00329.html

If you can build the latest emacs-24 branch, you might see the problem
gone.  Or wait until the next snapshot is uploaded.

> Do the nightly builds have .pdb files available?  I'm not sure it would be a
> great help, but probably better than nothing.

Thanks for the offer, but there are no PDB files.  Precompiled
binaries are produced using the MinGW port of GCC, so the debug info
is in the DWARF-2 format readable by GDB, the GNU debugger.  That
debug info is part of emacs.exe.  If you have GDB or can install it
from the MinGW site, you can attach it to Emacs when it freezes and
produce a backtrace.