Re: [h-e-w] GnuTLS in win32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] GnuTLS in win32
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:04 +0300

> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:06:20 +1000
> From: Jason Lewis <address@hidden>
>
> What I am not clear on is where I should be putting the binaries and
> DLLs so emacs can find them at launch time?

The .exe and the *.dll files (and generally everything in the bin/
subdirectory in the zip file you download) should be either in the
same directory where you have emacs.exe or in some other directory on
your PATH.  In the latter case, programs other than Emacs will be able
to find the GnuTLS DLLs.

> I have tried adding a path to them in my init.el with:
>
>   (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:/Program Files (x86)/gnutls/bin/;" (getenv
> "PATH")))
>   (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:/Program Files (x86)/gnutls/lib/;" (getenv
> "PATH")))

Don't change PATH from inside Emacs, that way lies madness.  Always
modify your PATH outside Emacs, before you start Emacs.  Otherwise,
the complex ways in which PATH interacts with exec-path and with
commands invoked from Emacs (including those invoked via the shell)
will break in subtle ways.