[h-e-w] checkpoint endpoint connect and port 7778

From: Matthias Cords
Subject: [h-e-w] checkpoint endpoint connect and port 7778
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:56:21 +0000

Hi,

i am running versions 22 to 24.1 of emacs on windows 7, where Emacs is the
development environment for a proprietary software package.

There is a problem with emacs hanging for several minutes when using auto
complete (Tab) while trying to open a file (C-x C-f):  when the computer is not
connected to the company network autocomplete may hang a few seconds.
Additionally, when a service called "checkpoint endpoint connect" is installed
and has opened a vpn connection to the company network autocomplete stalls for
even longer periods.  Shutting down the mentioned service makes emacs
autocomplete stall for "only" a few seconds again.

I am able to write lisp functions and know how to use a debugger, but I just
don't know where to start finding the cause of this problem.

The problem seems to have appeared somewhere around emacs 22.1 as version 22
does not have these problems.

I'd be thankful for any sort of advice.

Matt

.