[h-e-w] C-x C-f foo.pdf?

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] C-x C-f foo.pdf?
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:23:42 +0000

When I open a PDF file, I see the binary file content.  Yet apparently it's
possible to view the human-readable content.  For example, the following is
quoted from Sacha Chua's transcript of her Skype conversation about Emacs with
John Wiegley.

"J: I just started playing around with [Emacs'] ability to view PDF files. You
can use C-x C-f to open a PDF file and you'll see it in your Emacs. It renders
them page by page as PNG files, and then uses the Imagemagick extension built
into Emacs 24 to show you those pages."[1]

I'm running version 24.1.1 pre-compiled binary on Windows 7 64-bit (SP1).  Do I
need to re-build Emacs with different options in order to render PDF?  I also
have The GIMP installed and running on the same system.  Just curious.

1. http://sachachua.com/blog/2012/07/transcript-emacs-chat-john-wiegley/