Re: [h-e-w] How to change background and foreground color

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] How to change background and foreground color
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:07:12 +0800

Lee <address@hidden> writes:

> HI
>
> I tried to use following as my _emasc file(under c:\), but this
> version does not seems to use it. This file is working under my Linux
> emacs but not in this windows emacs. Does anyone know why?

Assuming the "_emasc" is a typo, and you really mean "_emacs",
this text from the info node "Windows HOME" in the latest development
version might be of interest:

   For compatibility with older versions of Emacs(1), if there is a file
   named `.emacs' in `C:\', the root directory of drive `C:', and `HOME'
   is set neither in the environment nor in the Registry, Emacs will
   treat `C:\' as the default `HOME' location, and will not look in the
   application data directory, even if it exists.  Note that only
   `.emacs' is looked for in `C:\'; the older name `_emacs' (see below)
   is not.  This use of `C:\.emacs' to define `HOME' is deprecated.

   Because MS-DOS does not allow file names with leading dots, and older
   Windows systems made it hard to create files with such names, the
   Windows port of Emacs supports an init file name `_emacs', if such a
   file exists in the home directory and `.emacs' does not.  This name
   is considered obsolete.

The best way to create your init file is to type C-x C-f ~/.emacs from
within Emacs.  Then you know it will be created in the right place.