Re: [h-e-w] Yank primary selection

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Yank primary selection
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:18:10 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Kenneth Goldman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:33:51 -0500
>
> I agree that it's going in the wrong direction.  Why remove something
> so useful?

No other application behaves like this, even on Windows.  It was
decided that the default behavior should match other applications, so
that naive users get what they expect.

> I like being able to cut by dragging the mouse and paste with the
> middle mouse.

Well, you can still get that, at a cost of 2 customizations.  It's all
in etc/NEWS.

> With other Windows applications, we're stuck with C-C, C-v, but why
> hobble emacs to emulate a mediocre interface?

There are those who believe that stomping on the clipboard data just
because you marked a region or double-clicked on a word is anti-social
behavior, and Emacs should not do that by default.

Now, I was asked why this change was made and how to get back the old
behavior, and I answered that.  Please do not start another dispute
about this here.  This horse was beaten to death on emacs-devel, and
nothing that you say will bring up something that wasn't already
brought up there.  You can read those discussions if you want.

Personally, I think that 2 customizations is not a terribly high price
to pay for dissent, so no one should care too much about the defaults.