Re: [h-e-w] Yank primary selection

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Yank primary selection
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:21:52 +0000

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> > Ok, that is fine.  So, what can I use for stuffing text, so that I can
> > paste them in other applications?
>
> In which version of Emacs?

Oh, I am in the job of creating functions that work on as many
versions of Emacs as possible (and as many operating systems as
possible).  The particular task is to copy a URL into <something>,
which can be pasted by the user somewhere else, possibly in another
Emacs buffer or possibly in another application.

The existing function has been copying into the 'X Clipboard' using
`x-set-selection'. This obviously does nothing on Win32.

Is `x-select-text' a reasonable alternative?

Cheers,
Uday

P.S. I have a vague recollection that the NT Emacs FAQ used to have
information like this.  It doesn't, any more.