Re: [h-e-w] Speeding up Emacs

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Speeding up Emacs
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 23:28:34 +0800

"Fidler,Matt,FORT WORTH,R&D" <address@hidden> writes:

> I can't find either the dump.bat or temacs.exe in any of the more
> recent distributions.  I still need to compile emacs from source,
> unless someone already has the temacs files?

Yes, I remember why I removed them now.

If your reason for redumping Emacs is to add more preloaded libraries,
you have to rebuild temacs.exe setting SITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA to the
amount of extra memory you need for the extra libraries you are
preloading. The only use for a precompiled temacs.exe was to get around
the old problem of shared libraries being loaded into Emacs's address
space where the dumped data should have been. But that has not been a
problem since Andrew Innes rewrote the dumper to work on Alpha as well
as Intel versions of Windows NT.

As for dump.bat, that used hardcoded arguments to dump emacs.exe for
exactly the obsolete purpose described above, so it too is not
appropriate for the purpose you want to redump Emacs.