RE: [h-e-w] no C-spc

From: Dallman, John
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] no C-spc
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:39:22 -0000

> I thought Cygwin programs used Unix APIs provided by the
> Cygwin libraries, in particular cygwin1.dll.

Perfectly true.

> Presumably the Cygwin emulation layer could read the keyboard
> in the same way that Linux programs do, although I don't know
> what happens in practice.

No, it could not. It can't use the Linux device driver; Cygwin
is not any kind of virtual machine system, so the reading has
to be done by Windows' device driver at the hardware level,
and Cygwin has to ask Windows for keyboadr input.

If you try to hit the keyboard hardware directly, under either
Windows or Linux, the OS will stop you. Applications tinkering
with hardware destabilises the OS - any OS. You could do this
under MS-DOS, and you might have been able to do it under Windows
9x, but Windows NT/2000/XP are "real" operating systems in that
they protect the hardware against interference by programs.

--
John Dallman