RE: [h-e-w] Problem with fresh emacsw32 install

From: Phil Betts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Problem with fresh emacsw32 install
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:02:56 -0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote on Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:24 AM::
>> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:48:01 +0100
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman at gmail.com>
>> So if you allow directory browsing then the binaries and the source
>> must be in the same directory?
>
> It would help, but is not necessary.  What _is_ necessary is that the
> link to the sources be available where you have the link to binaries,
> not buried deep in the menu structure, and that the text of the link
> be more descriptive than "gbinsrc" that you have now.

Throughout this thread, you have been confusing "necessary" with
"desirable".  Lennart is, and as far as I can tell always was, fully
compliant with the GPL (the FAQ is NOT part of the GPL and has
absolutely no legal standing).

There is nothing in the GPL that says that links to the source must be
in the same place as links to the binaries.

* The source IS equally accessible (which is what the GPL requires).
  I.e. anyone who can access the binaries can also access the source,
  using exactly the same software, hardware, protocols etc.
* The source IS in the same place (to be pedantic, that is actually
  impossible, but it IS on the same server)

Please stop suggesting that Lennart is in breach of the GPL, just
because he's not gone out of his way to make your life easy.  Lennart
is devoting a significant amount of his own time to help the community
and does not deserve to be trolled in this way.

If you would like the links to the source to be in the same place as
the links to the binaries, please ask nicely, rather than trying to
obtain your wishes through disingenuous insinuations of non-compliance.

You had a point originally, but throwing around thinly veiled
accusations has in fact served to obfuscate the issue in a not
particularly edifying manner.

If it were up to me, the source corresponding to a binary release would
be in a single zip/tarball, named the same as the binary, but with "src"
in the name.  It would be stored in the same directory as the binary
and the page linking to the binary package would also link to the source

package.  However, none of this is actually required according to the
letter of the GPL.

Phil