Re: [h-e-w] Re: EmacsW32 and rss on Gnus

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: EmacsW32 and rss on Gnus
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:32:45 +0100

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Please try with the unpatched version.

It works, actually. Thanks.

I do not belive there is any difference between the unpatched and the patched version in this area. I wonder about the build dates of the patched version you tried before and the unpatched version you are using now. There has been some changes to the network code just recently.

If there is any problem with the patched version I surely want to correct it. It would be very nice if you tried the latest patched version which I uploaded yesterday.

However, the installation seems to give me a little trouble. In the
start menu I now have a shortcut to emacsclient, not emacs. It gives
me an error when I try to run it.

I have noticed this and renamed the shortcut to EmacsClient. The installation does not create any shortcut to emacs.exe. You have to do this manually the way it is described in the installation instructions for Emacs itself. It has nothing to do with EmacsW32.

The unpatched version of EmacsClient does not start Emacs and Emacs server. You have to do that yourself.

What do I miss when using the unpatched version?

I do not know if you personally miss something, but I would find it awful to use Emacs myself without the patches ;-) To decide for yourself look here:

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html#unpatched

EmacsW32 contains other things too of course, see

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html#features

but as far as I know these can be used with the unpatched version too. (If not I consider that bugs.)

Most of what EmacsW32 contains is related to MS Windows. However to get things out of the door I have now also included Nxhtml and Nxml modes for example. They are not at all related to MS Windows, but pretty useful for editing XHTML/HTML or XML.