Re: [h-e-w] Working with 16 bit ascii text files?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Working with 16 bit ascii text files?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:37:27 +0200

Raymond Zeitler wrote:
I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2004-03-10 on
NYAUMO on Windows 2000 SP4.  I have trouble editing certain files that
seem to contain 16 bit characters.  The string "string" shows up like
this: "address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@g".  The ^@ is the null
character.  Also, line
endings have address@hidden

You can generate a file like this by saving a System Summary as a text
file in Computer Management.

Emacs interprets these files as Unix.  What I end up doing is invoking
query-replace on the file to replace the ^@ and the ^M with nothing.

But aren't these files using some sort of 16 bit character set?
Shouldn't Emacs handle this better?  I've never been able to find an
appropriate character set for C-x <RET> f.  For example, manually
choosing any of the mule-utf-16 sets changes nothing.

TIA for any help you can provide.
You may want to try the next generation not yet released version of Emacs to see if things works better there. It is actually very stable. For binaries look here:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo

If you do this please report back here how it works!