Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:32:15 -0500

> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> As an aside, the realy stumbling block that I have with cygwin is
>>> that it's pty handling screws with the way that Java,  a the Java
>>> Service Wrapper and stdout interact.  Basically the combination
>>> works just fun under MKS sh and cmd.exe and doesn't under cygwin.
>>> Very frustrating.
>>
>> Can you please explain more in detail what does not work? Could you give
>> examples?
>
> Running OpenSSH from an Emacs shell buffer doesn't work when you are
> with Cygwin. See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.windows/2564

This is a little strong.

I use Cygwin 'ssh' under Emacs a lot. What doesn't work is when ssh
tries to prompt for a passphrase, or for other user input (like "do
you want to save this host").

So I launch ssh-agent, do ssh-add, then launch emacs. I also do the
first login to any machine outside Emacs; after that I can use ssh
quite nicely under Emacs.

It could be better, but it's functional.

--
-- Stephe