Re: [h-e-w] blank screen

From: David Hanlon
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] blank screen
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:51:29 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Upon returning to NTEmacs after some time operating in other applications,
> I am often finding that the Emacs window is "blank;" i.e., you can't see
> any of the text w/in the borders of the window.

This may be network-related. It might be that you have a package
loaded that is configured to periodically perform some networking
task. For example, the vm package by default is configured to check
for the arrival of any new mail at certain intervals, which involves
connecting to POP or IMAP servers if they are in your list of spool
files. If you are not connected when it does this, Emacs will appear
to freeze in the way you describe. You might be able to abort the
networking process and bring Emacs back, as it were, simply by issuing
the command keyboard-quit (which is usually a matter of typing C-g)
rather than going to the trouble of shutting Emacs down via the task
manager.

Your problem might not be related to vm, but if it is you can turn off
checking by setting the variable vm-mail-check-interval to nil in
either your .emacs or .vm files.

I hope this helps,

David