guix-devel

Re: Adding plumbing subcommand 'derivation'?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Adding plumbing subcommand 'derivation'?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 16:02:51 +0200

Hi,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> On ven., 12 avril 2024 at 20:04, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
>
>>> Do you think it would be useful to package it?  Or maybe to include it
>>> as another subcommand (or part of some subcommand)?
>>
>> I'd love for this to be built in to Guix. I'm often struggling to read
>> derivations while debugging or analysing something.
>
> So I propose to add the plumbing command ’derivation’.  Any objection?

We should see how that fits into the set of tools we already have, in
particular the (guix derivations) interface and the REPL meta-commands.

My gut feeling, with a Schemer bias, is that we’d rather enrich the
Scheme API and/or REPL than add more commands (this is not Nix :-)).

But I don’t know, maybe we can have both?

Ludo’.