guix-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code Inquiry

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code Inquiry
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 17:25:35 +0200

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Dümcke <code@sam-d.com> skribis:

> just wanted to chime in. Since last week I have some working code to
> generate AppImages with guix pack. I was planning on tidying this up
> for submission over the next weeks.
> There is still work to do regarding documentation, adding options
> specific to the AppImage format, building the AppImageKit runtime from
> source and a lot of testing.

This is great news!  Looking forward to incorporating those changes.

> However, I believe that the remaining effort is around 8-10 hours. I
> am happy to hand the code over to you to finish up and co-mentor
> (though this patch would be my first contribution to guix) if you
> think this is appropriate.

It does sound like it jeopardizes this specific project.  In a way,
that’s a good problem to have as a project, but it does mean that
Zachary would need to look for another project (which could still be
related to ‘guix pack’).

Thoughts?

> PS: this is also my first message sent to a mailing list, hope it
> makes it through ok. Please point out any errors or breackes in
> netiquette

It’s perfect!

Thanks,
Ludo’.