guix-devel

Re: 01/06: gnu: gnurl: Deprecate in favor of curl.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 01/06: gnu: gnurl: Deprecate in favor of curl.
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 11:11:35 +0200

Hi,

guix-commits@gnu.org skribis:

> +(define-deprecated/public-alias gnurl curl)

Just for the record (because it probably doesn’t matter much in this
case), this creates a deprecated alias for the variable, but not for the
package.

For package deprecation, I think it’s best to write:

  (define-public gnurl (deprecated-package "gnurl" curl))

to allow “guix install gnurl” to DTRT.  Deprecating the variable itself
is usually less important for packages.

As I write this, I realize we should probably document package
deprecation and removal.

Ludo’.