guix-devel

Re: Backdoor in upstream xz-utils

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Backdoor in upstream xz-utils
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:39:59 -0700

Hi Ryan,

On Fri, Mar 29 2024, Ryan Prior wrote:

> I'm reading today that a backdoor is present in xz's upstream tarball
> (but not in git), starting at version 5.6.0. Source:
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4

Thanks for sending this!  This is an extremely serious vulnerability
with criminal intent.  I cc'd guix-security@gnu.org just in case you
haven't.

> Guix currently packages xz-utils 5.2.8 as "xz" using the upstream
> tarball. [...] Should we switch from using upstream tarballs to some
> fork with more responsible maintainers?

Guix's habit of building from tarballs is a poor idea because tarballs
often differ.  For example, maintainers may choose to ship a ./configure
script that is otherwise not present in Git (although a configure.ac
might be).  Guix should build from Git.

> Is there a way we can blacklist known bad versions?

Having said all that, I am not sure Guix is affected.

On my systems, the 'detect.sh' script shows no referece to liblzma in
sshd.  Everyone, please send additional reports.

Kind regards
Felix