guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:00:38 +0200

On 3/18/24 15:12, Simon Tournier wrote:
Hi MSavoritias,

On lun., 18 mars 2024 at 13:47, MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> wrote:

As advice for the future when somebody says a concern or wish they have,
your first statement shouldn't be "but its legal" because that
completely dismisses any constructive discussion that could be done.
Again, I am not arguing about “legal” something.  Instead, I am pointing
that this wish does not match the principles of “free software”.

If you accept that the software you create is “free software” then you
cannot complain if this “free software” is used in some contexts that
you consider unethical.

That’s the double sword of “free software”.

Do I consider LLMs as something unethical?  I think yes: most AI appears
to me unethical but that’s another story (rooting my arguments in
arguments about energy [2,3,4]).

2: https://social.sciences.re/@zimoun/112082437445032973
3: https://social.sciences.re/@zimoun/112039562095800532
4: https://social.sciences.re/@zimoun/112038609631116527

Yes you are. The argument that you can do what you want with Free Software is based around a licence which is a legal construct of states.

I think you have misunderstood that here we are talking about the social rules of being a decent group of human beings and respect somebody else's wishes.

What is in question here is whether Software Heritage respects people
enough to do the right thing and respect their wishes without getting
lawyers/legal involved.
Again, this is an incorrect frame, IMHO.  Software Heritage (SWH) do the
things you granted them to do.  SWH respects the “ethical” definition of
“free software”.

You are bringing the legal argument again. The argument that you can do what you want with Free Software is based around a licence which is a legal construct of states.

I think you have misunderstood that here we are talking about the social rules of being a decent group of human beings and respect somebody else's wishes.

In this case somebody asks for something so if SFH is a good member of our community they should do that. Otherwise they are not a good member of our community.

Besides with the way you are framing Free Software as not respecting any
social rules then that makes Free Software not attractive which is the
opposite of what we are trying to do here :)
I do not know what are the “social rules” of “free software”.  At best,
I understand the social rules of a community working on free software.

And this community is far to be an homogeneous whole with clear social
rules.  These social rules vary and the only shared denominator is the
“free software” principles defined by four freedoms.

Guix has a CoC that's the common thing we have here. For social things that is. Plus some cultural things of course.

MSavoritias