guix-devel

Re: Update to source-highlight seems to have broken rust

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: Update to source-highlight seems to have broken rust
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:39:01 +0000

On Monday, January 29th, 2024 at 9:49 AM, John Kehayias
<john.kehayias@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kaeylyn,
>

> On Monday, January 29th, 2024 at 12:26 PM, Kaelyn kaelyn.alexi@protonmail.com
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Efraim and guix-devel,
> >
> > Based on my local cuirass instance and some spot testing this morning, it
> > appears the change to source-highlight in commit 367bc2d198 has broken the
> > build of rust 1.73.
> > * `guix refresh -l source-highlight` reports modifying the package would
> > require a large number of rebuilds ("Building the following 6129 packages
> > would ensure 9069 dependent packages are rebuilt").
> > * I am seeing a consistent test failure for rust starting with that commit.
> > * `guix weather rust@1.73` reports 100% availability for both
> > ci.guix.gnu.org and bordeaux.guix.gnu.org at commit fbeae77ae6 but 0%
> > availability at commit 367bc2d198.
>

> This was reverted in 0fb160a5e8b0b800426489c0a2ad387c6934fba so maybe you
> were just unlucky in what commit you were at?
>
> I can't comment on the details of the change or rust, but hopefully just
> pulling to a newer commit will go back to good coverage for you as well.
>
> Hope that helps!

That does help, thank you! I think I missed the revert because of a minor
misbehavior? of cuirass (so me getting unlucky about the commit in a different
way!).

I have a local cuirass server set up to build the packages in a local channel,
along with a job configured to build the packages in my Guix Home configs
(currently using a manually generated manifest file that is checked in as part
of the local channel)--but I don't have notifications set up and I only
occasionally check on its status. This morning I happened to notice that
wine64-staging was reported as having been failing for a while, because of
ffmpeg-6.1.1 failing to build due to the rust failure (i.e. cuirass reported
ffmpeg as the root failed build, and looking at the error log was what revealed
that it was actually rust that failed). I then mistakenly assumed the issue was
still present because the list of evaluations and evaluation dashboard reported
wine64-staging as still failing up through the evaluation for commit 2c5293a
from a few hours prior to my email. I'm guessing the underlying issue for the
rebuild not happening for the revert commit is tied to dependency propagation
triggering rebuilds (as a likely-related example, I find it odd that while
cuirass showed the wine64-staging rebuild failed because its dependency ffmpeg
failed to build, but claimed ffmpeg was the failed package when it was a unit
test in the rust build that actually failed).

Thank you again, John, for your response about the commit having already been
reverted!

Cheers,
Kaelyn