guix-devel

Re: Mixing GPL and non-copyleft code in source files

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Mixing GPL and non-copyleft code in source files
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:25:13 +0100

Hi there

> It's worth noting that CC0 is not a license but a public domain
> dedication.  One cannot dual-license it with GPL because copyright
> no longer applies to the work: https://creativecommons.org/faq

Actually, in some countries' laws there is no notion of public domain
and it is not possible to waive one's copyright there.  CC0 would fall
back to being a license there.

Also, due to this ambigious status of public domain, there were cases
of business users asking authors of public domain software to also add
a different license.  But this is a rather rare, overcautious approach
and definitely not needed with a carefully-designed waiver like the CC0.

I think my response to Liliana 2 minutes ago is also a sufficiently good
response to the remaining remarks I could otherwise address here.  If
not, please tell

Best
Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)