guix-devel

Re: Are declarative app configs worth it?

From: Sergey Trofimov
Subject: Re: Are declarative app configs worth it?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:38:24 +0100

Sergey Trofimov <sarg@sarg.org.ru> writes:

- adding it to guix increases maintenance burden: new versions could
 add or remove config options

This is why there should be automated tests. There are too few of them.

that adds up to the pile of boilerplate to implement a simple config. If guix mandates it for new packages, it'll raise the bar for contribution even higher than it already is.

- it bloats guix: imagine if we add configs for every
  user-configurable app

That would be nice.

If we started to accept the term bloat we could easily apply it to anything in Guix: all that R stuff? Bloat! All that bioinfo stuff?
Bloat!

imo, R and bioinfo should be in channels.

- such configs are not easily transferrable: if I were to use the
  same app in non-guix env, I'd have to maintain 2 configs

We are generating configuration files from our config languages. So you
would only need to generate them and copy them for your non-guix
environment.

Sure, that's why I wrote "not easily". My non-guix env is a corporate Mac laptop. Currently I just clone my dotfiles, symlink required configs and it's done. I can make changes in both environments and there is no unnecessary "compiling" step involved.

Another recent example is `oci-container-configuration` which defines a subset of docker-cli startup arguments. The problem is that `docker run` command has 96 options and the configuration only uses a handful,
lacking a way to provide the remaining ones.

All config bindings need to have an escape hatch.

That would be great.