guix-devel

Re: Swineherd: Guix System container manager

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Swineherd: Guix System container manager
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:23:31 +0200

> Can you share any ways you're currently using this?

We had been using this at work as part of a much bigger training
platform to launch customizable (but still reproducible) interactive
environments for workshops and courses.

An example is pre-configured RStudio installations with shared course
materials.  With guix.install (provided by r-guix-install) participants
could install any Guix packages from within their running R session.  We
also provided a web interface to customize the environment ahead of
time, and to save/restore the container root fs.

> Any plans/interest in hooking it into `guix deploy`?

Plans no, but interest yes!

--
Ricardo