guix-devel

Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem

From: Distopico
Subject: Re: Guix and the developer ecosystem
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:16:27 -0500

On 2023-08-16, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A late reply…
>
> Distopico <distopico@riseup.net> skribis:
>
>> 1. Are there plans in the future to improve integration between
>> development tools? For example, having haskell-language-server for
>> ghc@9.x and another one for ghc@8.x, or something similar to the
>> overwrite feature in Nix flake?
>
> I don’t think the project makes “plans” for such things.  To me, it
> looks like mostly a matter of packaging; if ‘haskell-language-server’ is
> missing, then some Haskeller may eventually feel the need to package it.
> You can hope it’ll be someone else, but perhaps you’ll find that doing
> it yourself is worth trying.  :-)
>
> Regarding customization, ‘--with-input’ and perhaps other transformation
> options may correspond to your needs:
>

> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Package-Transformation-Options.html

According with the docs, it will make rebuilt the packages so with
Rust/haskell that could take time and cpu, and for sure is a good option
in many cases, and maybe with Parameterized Packages[1] would be another
option, but what about have let said two packages like
`haskell-language-server-8.x` and `haskell-language-server-9.x` wherein
each one utilizes a predefined GHC version and prebuilt derivations? Is
this approach valid?

>> 2. Do you see developers as a potential target audience for Guix, or is
>> it mainly focused on HPC (High-Performance Computing)?
>
> My dayjob has to do with HPC and I think Guix is a good fit for them.
>
> But developers, whether in HPC or not, are definitely a target audience
> IMO.  I believe Guix has great tools for development; that’s the spirit
> of this blog post:
>

> https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2023/from-development-environments-to-continuous-integrationthe-ultimate-guide-to-software-development-with-guix/
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> Ludo’.