guix-devel

Re: Updates for Go

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Updates for Go
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:25:59 -0600

On 8/16/23 11:25 AM, Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. wrote:
Hi Katherine,

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 12:59 PM Katherine Cox-Buday
<cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> wrote:

There's also no one on Guix's Go team. I've created a patch to add
myself[1]

Your courage and initiative are inspiring. (Unfortunately, my skills
are lousy.) Anybody with an interest in Golang should please speak up!

Thank you, but I'm just another hacker trying to do her part to maintain software she loves. I am always grateful to the other Guix hackers doing amazing work!

I tried to emphasize in my message that even if you dislike Go, there are some critical packages like Docker that are essentially going unmaintained because they are written in Go. *This includes security fixes*. As it stands, I cannot recommend people use our packages which are compiled by Go v1.17.3 in production. I think every release of Go (43 of them!) since that one has contained a security patch.

Even if you dislike Go, but can work your way through a package, please consider signing up!

--
Katherine