guix-devel

Re: Commits and bug closing (was: something else)

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Commits and bug closing (was: something else)
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 12:27:48 +0200

Hi,

On jeu., 06 avril 2023 at 21:11, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

>> Do we have a hook that closes such bugs automatically via instructions
>> in commit messages?
>> If not, I'd be happy to look into writing such a thing. It would also
>> help to tie commits to bug reports, which can be good for research
>> after the fact.
>
> we do not as far as I know, and I agree that it would be useful to add
> a two-way link between bug reports and commits (for "real" bugs, not
> "issues" created from the patches list).
>
> I do not know if there is a general convention on how this should be done;
> supposedly it would need a bit of discussion to come to a consensus.

For example,

substitute: Gracefully handle TLS termination while fetching narinfos.

Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62476>.

or

services: mpd: Use proper records for user and group fields.

Deprecate using strings for these fields and prefer user-account
(resp. user-group) instead to avoid duplication within account-service-type.

Fixes #61570 <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61570>.

Somehow, the current informal “convention” is to add,

    Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/12345>.

in the commit message that closes specific bug.  However, it is not
fully uniform,

gnu: openjdk10: Build from hg.

* gnu/packages/java.scm (openjdk10)[source]: Use HG-DOWNLOAD.

This fixes <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62071>
for OpenJDK 10.

or

gnu: icecat: Fix Kerberos support.